At the beginning of 2012, I set two goals myself, to both run and bike 1,000 miles this year. As of yesterday, this is how things stood:
- Cycling: 222.28 miles left.
- Running: 418.59 miles left.
- Just a beautiful morning for a ride, overdressed slightly but better than the alternative. Except for the typical misguided drivers, a pleasant meander along my favorite 10 mile loop.
- 8 up, 8 down on the TM, finished "Fast Five," then went back to the start of the franchise with "The Fast and the Furious." Kind of cool to see how young they looked in the original and that so many were back for the 5th in the series.
- After several nights when the Little Worker did not want to let us sleep, I was feeling it this morning, and happy to have the day off from training. We celebrated our anniversary with dinner last night at Zocalo Chicago (worth a visit if you're in town), so tonight it was back to normal with soccer, piano lessons, and Survivor. We did have some bubbly, so it wasn't all routine. :)
- Planned Daily Double Run 1: Decent morning for it, felt okay, nothing unusual about this run. Except that some yahoo yelled at me from a truck -- unfortunately, his voice was garbled, so I didn't hear his words of inspiration. Hasn't happened in a LONG time, I guess those kind of people never go away totally.
- Planned Daily Double Run 2: 6 miles on the treadmill, finished "The Fast and the Furious," interesting how restrained it seems after just watching the fifth in the series. Vin Diesel hasn't aged a bit! 3 miles in the PureConnects and 3 miles in the Skoras -- thinking about taking them outside for a run, really getting used to them now.
- A crisp fall morning, leaves changing colors, a perfect morning to mountain bike in Maple Grove Forest Preserve! Rode 3 loops of the singletrack, changing directions each time. Came close to distaster once, in a panicked front brake clutch, brought the rear end up and sideways, nearly smashing my shoulder into a tree, but...safely continued. Love how mountain biking is so exciting at much lower speeds than road cycling, really a different experience.
- Cold but beautiful morning, drove over to Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve with Laima, planned on doing the 10-mile loop. We ended up doing a 6-mile out and back, enjoyed the crunch of the gravel, the changing colors of the leaves, and the brisk wind that seemed not to stop (the last one maybe we enjoyed a little bit less than the others).
- Planned Daily Double Run 1: 5 on the TM, started "2 Fast 2 Furious," not one of the better ones, but amazing Miami scenery.
- Planned Daily Double Run 2: 5 more on the TM, finished "2 Fast, 2 Furious," decent action, but definitely not one of the better ones in the franchise. 5 miles in the Skoras, definitely need to get them outside for a few runs.
Another good week towards my goals, colder weather will make the cycling goal ever more difficult, might start pushing that a bit before the snow starts, like it has in so many places already - beginning of October!
- Cycling: 17.25 miles planned, 18.57 miles accomplished, 203.71 miles left.
- Running: 32.5 miles planned, 35.24 miles accomplished, 383.35 miles left.