Great start to the week as we headed for the family cottage in Union Pier, MI. We had outstanding weather, which was nice and Lake Michigan was not cold, which was a shock, as it's often late summer before we can swim. Week ended with the Warrior Dash, really a fun race. Even though I'm skipping pretty much all the core and strength days, I'm not overly worried. While strengthening those areas is definitely a boon, this middle-aged body needs more recovery than is within this plan.
Monday: Core/20 Mile Ride
- Rode up Red Arrow Highway from Union Pier to Bridgman, enjoyable yet tough ride, feeling tired again after so many days of training. Saw a deer, squirrels, and lots of birds.
- Skipped core yet again, but sort of on vacation, so didn't care.
Tuesday: 8 Mile Run
- 4 miles out and back along the beach. Windy, water coming in, not an easy run on mostly softer sand. Return trip just ran through the water, final mile barefoot. Very satisfying run due to beautiful setting.
- A day that went by quickly and suddenly I was home, not even overly worn down, as sometimes happens at the office.
Thursday: 10 Mile Run
- Though the numbers were no different than usual, this run seemed a lot tougher. Initially I felt like I was stuck in low gear. After 3.5 miles of slow, grinding running, I started feeling a bit better. By mile 5.5, I was starting to relax, and by 7.5 I felt decent. The funny thing is that this was all mental - my splits were very even.
- To celebrate Father's Day with Laima's dad, we spent the day hanging out by his pool, amazingly warm enough to swim in and it's only June! Ate and drank too much in lieu of training.
Saturday: 20 Mile Ride
- Really had no desire to ride today, no route planned, so just pushed off and went. Ended up being really enjoyable, bit warm, but definitely not hot. Always nice to ride new neighborhoods and towns.
- Came home for breakfast to a nice surprise - as part of the all-weekend Father's Day celebration, today's gift was a new Garmin 200 Edge for my bike! Love it.
- Laima and I headed out to the farmland to participate in Warrior Dash Illinois. Have no idea what our time was, results were sporadic and incomplete. I will say that if you have not done of these mud/adventure runs, you really should - we had a blast! (Race reports tomorrow.)
Weekly Totals: 62.07 miles, 6:07:04.
(Training Plan adapted from Jeff Horowitz’ Smart Marathon Training)
Monday Weigh-In -- Original Weight (Day 1): 209.6, today 206. I have to admit, even though I know I eat and drink too much, I'm surprised that the weight is not coming off, with all the miles I'm putting in. A good lesson for the younger folks.
Please use the handy social media icons to share this post - thanks!
Like Midwest Multisport Life on Facebook