(Image from http://www.adaweb.net/Coroner.aspx/CoronerInvestigations/2008Archive/September2008.aspx)
Following on yesterday’s post, here are Lawrence Ulrich’s 6 commandments for cyclists:
- Don’t drink and ride. No brainer right? Turns out, in 2006, in 24% of fatal injuries, cyclists were legally impaired.
- Ride single file when possible.
- Use hand signals to indicate intentions.
- Make eye contact with drivers.
- Follow the law. This makes you completely part of the system, lessens conflict, and earns respect of drivers.
- Wear a helmet! 9 of 10 cyclists killed in 2008 were not wearing a helmet. Helmets can’t prevent accidents, but they might help you survive one.